Art and Design
Art and Design
At Warwick Road Primary School, we strongly believe that Art and Design embodies some of the highest forms of human creativity and helps to develop imagination, confidence and an ability to express thoughts and feelings of pupils. All children are encouraged to be creative, to develop an active interest in a range of media and to express themselves fully using this range. As a school we enjoy celebrating the art that is created through displays, assemblies and sharing work with pupils and parents in order to foster an appreciation of different forms, traditions and cultures.
A good artist will show that they have:
• The ability to use visual language skilfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations, convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
• The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
• The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
• The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or digital media.
• An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craftmakers and designers.
• The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
• Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
• The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skilfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
• The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
• A passion for and a commitment to the subject.