Skip to content ↓

SEN Information Report

Warwick Road Primary School

Local Offer for SEND pupils and families -

Autumn 2018

All BBEST partnership schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and are supported by the Local Authority, Kirklees, to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

What is the school’s Local Offer?

Our Local Offer outlines how this school contributes to the Local Authority Offer by detailing the Support and provision you can expect to receive at Warwick Road Primary School.

 If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact the SENCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) at school. This person is Mrs Bham.

You can do this by phoning the school on 01924 455593 or email the school office on the following address:

Staff will be happy to speak to you and arrange an appointment to visit school and speak to the SENCo


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

Class teacher

Responsible for:

  • Planning and delivering high-quality differentiated lessons to meet the needs of all pupils in the class.
  • Assessing the progress of your child and informing the SENCO if your child is falling behind or experiencing difficulties which cannot be overcome without additional support or intervention.
  • Liaising with the SENCO to write Additional Needs Plans, when required, and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Liaising with all staff working with your child in school to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with SEND.

Headteacher - Mrs S Qureshi

Responsible for:

  • Ensuring that the training needs of SENCO and other staff are met.
  • Reporting to the Governing Body on provision and progress for pupils with SEND.
  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.

SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) - Mrs Bham

Responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children receive a consistently high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

Ensuring that parents and carers are:

  • involved in supporting their child’s learning
  • kept informed about the support the child is getting
  • involved in reviewing how the child is progressing.
  • Liaising with all the other professionals who may come into school to help support your child’s learning.
  • Maintaining the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are up to date records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support and advice for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

SEN Governor Mr Khan

Responsible for:

  • Monitoring the provision and progress for pupils with SEND. Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND Warwick Road Primary School?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (also known as Quality First Teaching).

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching builds on what your child already knows, can do and understand.
  • Differentiated teaching and learning activities are in place so that every child is fully involved in learning in class. This may include presenting and recording learning in different ways (written, ICT or practical), support from a Teaching Assistant for some pupils, work set at different levels.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn: e.g. use of coloured overlays, word banks, and adapted equipment.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have planned the support your child needs to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work with a small group of children.

This means they have been identified as needing some extra support in school in a specific aspect of their learning.

  • S/he will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress, usually led by a Teaching Assistant who has been trained in how to lead the programme.
  • 1-1 precision teaching

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding on a subject/area of learning.

Specialist support from outside agencies:

  • This means they have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.
  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching  and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to give your permission for us to refer your child to the relevant specialist professional , who may also ask you to give information about your child in order to give the most effective advice and support for your child.
  • The specialist professional will make recommendations and advise on appropriate progress targets, which may result in changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support, changing some aspects of teaching, a group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional, group or individual work with outside professionals.
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.
  • This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning which cannot be overcome purely through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan

    possible ways forward.

 An Education, Health & Care Plan (replacing Statements of SEN)

In exceptional cases, if their learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong, your child will have been identified by a range of professionals as needing a particularly high level of support and provision beyond that usually available in a mainstream classroom. A Request for Statutory Assessment will be made to the Local Authority, who will decide on the appropriate level of additional provision to be made and draft an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHC Plan) for your child, if required. The Plan would be formally reviewed at least once a year.  Should this apply to your child, the school will work closely with you and other professionals working with your child to guide you through the process.

How can I let the school know if I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO or Headteacher
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

  • If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to listen to any concerns you may have too plan any additional support your child may receive
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
  • With your permission, add your child to the school’s SEND register, if appropriate.

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?

  • The school budget, received from LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including: the children getting extra support already; the children needing extra support and the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected
  • Decide what resources/training and support is needed.
  • All resources/training and support are reviewed termly and changes made as needed.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

Directly funded by the school:

  • Teaching Assistants trained in specific intervention programmes paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school
  • Autism Outreach Service (ASCOSS)
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).
  • Provided and paid for by the Health Service (North Yorkshire NHS Trust) but delivered in school or clinic: School Nurse, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy.

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

  • The SENCO’s role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.
  • The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on supporting specific aspects of SEND such as ASD or speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

How will teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs. If you have concerns about your child’s progress and ability to complete homework tasks, your child’s class teacher can personalise the learning further.


How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher and will be shared with you formally at Parent / Teacher Meetings in the Autumn and Spring terms and in an annual written report in July each year.
  • If your child is in Year One and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P levels’.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tasks (SATs). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally. If you are concerned that your child may not be able to access the tests, your child’s class teacher or SENCO will be able to discuss this further with you.
  • Children on the school’s SEND register will have an Individual Provision Map which will be reviewed with you each term, when the plan for the next term will be agreed.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education. We meet to review their progress half way through the year too.
  • The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

How is Warwick Road Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The building is accessible to children with physical disability through designated areas within the school.
  • We have lifts to access different floors.
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • A range of additional equipment is available to improve the learning environment for specific children.
  • SEND e.g. writing slopes, pencil grips, coloured overlays.

What support do we provide for you as a parent of child with Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be shared with you at a meeting, by phone, or in a written report. We are available to discuss reports with you in school and explain where necessary.
  • Additional Needs Plans will be reviewed with you when required
  • Homework will be adjusted to your child’s individual needs, if required.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • Email contact and texts can be established as an additional layer of home/school communication if required.

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? Or moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the receiving school’s SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases,
  • a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Provision Maps will be shared with the new teacher.

All children spend time in their new classroom at the end of the summer term. If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on, this will be made with them.

An individual transition plan will be devised, if required in Year 6:

  • SENCO will meet with the SENCO of their secondary school to discuss the specific needs of your child and a transition package will be put together for them individually.
  • Your child will access focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

The curriculum at Warwick Road Primary School is planned to include learning opportunities both inside and outside. Our school grounds and the local community provide opportunity for children to extend learning in a rich outdoor environment, which is accessible to all learners. In addition, our children have the opportunity to experience a wide range

of exciting educational visits. We ensure that all children, including those with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) are included in all of these experiences.

All visits out of school and activities where necessary are risk assessed. Children with particular needs may require an additional risk assessment. We will discuss arrangements for your child with you at the time of the visit, to ensure that appropriate arrangements are in place.

What do I do if I’m not happy?

If, at any stage, you are not happy with the provision being offered by school you should contact your child’s class teacher and/or Mrs Bham. At all times we hope to work with parents to offer their child the very best. However, we recognise that sometimes things cannot be resolved readily in which case the school’s complaints procedure should be followed.


Should you wish to discuss any aspect of this document in more detail, or require it in an alternative format, please do not hesitate to contact us.